Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Ode to Spike

The following post has been written by our dog Max, but translated into English and typed by Meghan so all could understand and read:I would like for you all to meet my best friend, Spike. (He's the one on the right in this picture, I'm on the left) Spike lives in Nevada. He lives with his mommy, daddy, and two brothers. When I lived in Nevada, I spent a lot of time with Spike and his family. They would take care of me when my mom was working, when my little brother Ricky was sick and in the hospital, and sometimes when my mommy just couldn't stand to have me tripping all over her feet anymore. Sometimes Spike would come to my house for sleepovers too... but we always had more fun at his place 'cause his big brothers are a blast!


The reason for my post is to let you all know some very sad news. Spike's mom called me yesterday to tell me that Spike is dying. He has some disease that I can't pronounce (Lymphoma) and the doctors have only given him a few weeks to live. When I first found out... I set out right away for Nevada to be there for my best buddy. I thought for sure that maybe his missing me so much was making him think that he was sick, when maybe he wasn't. However, mom told me that the journey was too far... and it was just too cold. So instead, I'm selecting my very favorite toy to send to him, and asking you all to pray for his family. Spike is only 3 years old (21 for you humans)... and I just can't believe that this is happening to my best friend.

His family is very very sad, but they also had some happy news. On Friday they are adopting a new puppy who happens to be a half-brother of mine. (Our daddy gets around a lot). His name is Tyke, and Spike will have the opportunity to show him around his home, play with him, and make him feel comfortable.

So Spike, here's a "bark out" to you buddy. Even though we've been apart for almost a year now... I want you to know that I've never forgotten you. I still run to the door with anticipation when mom or dad ask me where you are. We had some pretty special times... like chasing eachother around the dog park, and lounging next to eachother by the fire. Oh sure, we had our ups and downs... like when we'd get caught crossing that "friendship line" and pretending that I was a girl and... well... you know. But in the end, you've always been there. I can still smell you on my toys... and nobody knows me the way you do.

I'm praying for a miracle buddy... 'cause I've been working out getting ready for another chance to wrestle with you. But if you just get too tired... I want you to take really good care of my little brother Ricky up in heaven. Give him a big lick on the ear for me (he always hated that)! Watch your nostrils when you see him though... he had a tendency to go poking...

I love you Spike. You hang in there... and tell Tyke I'm looking forward to meeting him and telling him about all the great times you and I had.
Love, Max

One more thing Spike: I'm really sorry for all the times that I manipulated you just to steal your treats... I'm sending you your own box... straight from my favorite stash.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

My best buddy Max,
Thank you so much!!! It means so much to me. We are all praying and hoping for a miracle. I've been feeling pretty good and the food is great.( I can't tell you about my new diet though --I've seen you before when you get jealous). I miss you so much. They've already told me about this little guy named "Tyke".
Stay out of trouble, buddy!