Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cicadas and Garage Sales

I've been living back in Indiana for over a year now which seems crazy to believe. As time goes on... the good of the Midwest is slowly starting to reveal itself to me. The absence of Cicadas for one... HUGE points there. For those of you particularly out in the west who may have never received the pleasure of meeting these disgusting and obnoxious creatures...
here's a visual:


Disgusted yet? They are loud and gross and crunchy and when they come... they are EVERYWHERE!! But they are not here.... yet. And for that, I am so very grateful.

Now I can't go and compliment the great state of Indiana without also voicing a complaint in one particular area: Garage Sales.

Two years ago at this time I was making out like a bandit in the city of Reno. For several weeks I faithfully got up around 6am and scoured every corner of town looking for the junk of another, that would inevitably become my treasure. I found baby clothes that had never been worn for a quarter, a $5 coffee table, a barely used jogging stroller and hiking pack. I felt there truly could be no greater satisfaction in life than to find much needed treasure in beautiful condition and pay 2% of the original price. Life was good.

And then I moved to Indianapolis. As the winter months passed I found myself more and more excited... anticipating the incredible "finds" that would be waiting for me this season. Our new home needs so many things and I couldn't wait to show Eric my thrifty side!

News Flash: one man's "junk" in Indiana... is pretty much just that - "junk" - no matter who it belongs to. No "treasures" here... not one. I was sure that the first week was just an "off" weekend. "Too early in the season", I told myself... give it another week. This past Saturday I even got my husband psyched up for our big "Saturday Morning Garage Sale Date!". I dragged him out of bed at 6:30am (OK.... he was up first). First priority was, of course, Starbucks. With my Grande Caramel Macchiato in hand, it was on to the huge school community sale down the road! Can't go wrong with huge community sales right?

Wrong.

For the first couple hours, we refused to give up. When one town turned up with nothing... we moved on. We wound up an hour from home in the end... and all we had to show for it was a half a tank less of gas. Eric tried to explain to me that things are different here. While the true "hillbilly" culture dwells quite a bit south of our home... it would appear that the mentality has a way of filtering north. I lost hope when I arrived at a driveway and found a man selling only three things: a lawnmower that appeared to be 20 years old, a rusty piece of equipment I couldn't even identify, and a box of used bras - only 25 cents a piece. *sigh*

Defeated, we drove to Sears and debated which grill to buy. At least the Memorial Day Weekend sale offered $50 off.

My head tells me it is time to give up. But my heart tells me that even in Indiana, there must be some wasteful and overindulgeous people who want to get rid of perfectly good stuff! I may have to give it one more shot this next Saturday. I just can't resist the "possibility"... and I'm not ready to give up hope. I'm pretty sure Eric's hope left him around 8:30am last Saturday though, so I'll probably be on my own for this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW PATHETIC! I AM SO SORRY... MAYBE YOU COULD TRY A NEW SATURDAY MORNING ACTIVITY... HOW ABOUT STAYING IN BED OR BETTER YET AFTER SLEEPING IN HAVING BREAKFAST IN BED TOO?!! GUESS YOU CAN TELL WHO WISHES SHE COULD. BART MIGHT SUGGEST ANOTHER ACTIVITY...

I AM SELLING SOME OF MY MARY KAY OFF NEXT SATURDAY AT AN ANNUAL NEIGHBORHOOD SALE... THIS IS GOING TO BE SO FUN! I WISH YOU COULD BE WITH ME!! LAST YEAR I GOT MY SNOW SHOES FOR $5!

Meghan said...

Um... Mrs. Saunders. I can't allow any x-rated comments on my blog so keep it clean ok?!

Hummel Family said...

yeah, I meant to warn you. Maybe you'll surprise us with a treasure one of these days.

You need to check out Ohio garage sales...amazing!