Friday, July 25, 2008

An Organic Creamery

We live about 10 minutes away from this all organic farm and creamery, and today we decided to check out the Farmer's Market they have on Friday afternoons. Ella's arrival has really got me thinking about the importance of organic foods and health... apparently studies have been done suggesting that the chemicals, pesticides, and hormones that taint our every day foods may be the reason that girls in particular are experiencing early puberty/breast development. Great. Girls are hormonal enough... I don't really feel like rushing into anything with Ella. I like her just the way she is... sleeping a lot, cooing and babbling rather than talking back... it's a good thing. Unfortunately, while I'm working on it, I have yet to convince Eric that $6 for a 1/2 gallon of milk is well worth it. And the single green pepper that I almost purchased for $3.50 the other day even had me questioning whether having to buy a training bra at the age of 6 would really be so terrible. So while we wait to come into a small fortune, I figured maybe we could just land some all-natural samples by visiting organic pastures... which brings me back to the Creamery:

A few vendors, with healthy grass-fed cows in the background.

Lots of healthy cheese from healthy grass-fed cows.

The $4, 6oz. root beer float that Eric and I shared... made with ice cream made with the milk of healthy grass-fed cows.

The healthy grass-fed cows.

I'm not sure what these chickens eat... but I know it's not grass.

The baby girl... who drinks milk from the mommy... who would like to drink milk from the grass-fed cows... but can only afford the milk from the cows who apparently just eat dirt.

7 comments:

Scott and Lisa said...

This is my favorite post ever! You are hysterical!! Scott and I have been trying to do the organic thing. It really doesn't go much further than eggs, beef, and chicken since it gets toooooo expensive.

What a beautiful farm though!

Anonymous said...

Meg you are too funny! I laughed out loud after reading this (and since I'm at work it raise a few eye brows). Keep the funny posts coming - they're great! ~Holland

I recently heard a caller on a radio program that was discussing going organic. The caller couldn't afford all organic and so the radio host recommended first switching to organic with what you eat most. For us it would be beef. I thought it was a good suggestion for those who want to switch but can’t afford our grocery bill to be doubled.

andrew,betsy,& noura said...

We've been trying to eat better and making Nouras food so I started reading this and said "andrew, I need to go to Farmers Market with her!" then i read the prices...and my husband as well is not convinced its worth the money. boo on expensive healthy food!

Carrie said...

Even if you are not in Reno anymore I always feel like your right here with me when I read your wonderful witty blogs! Thank you for adding a picture of you and Ella, you look great and so happy!!!
~Carrie

yellowgirl said...

that looks like a fun day! you know though... those cattle don't look all that healthy to me... they look really skinny!

I'm not convinced enough about the benefits of this organic kick to even consider buying the expensive stuff yet...

Meghan said...

yellowgirl...

of course they are skinny... how fat do you think you'd be if all you ate was grass!!

Weinberg Family said...

Meg..this is too funny. I try to do organic too..because I have girls and all the scares about the extra horomones...but it is hard! Anyways we are leaving for Chicago this Thursday the 31st and I will be there until the 18th..maybe longer:) You should drive up...I would love to see you and Ella....I can't find your e-mail...e-mail me:)