Monday, July 7, 2008

A Little Life. A Lasting Legacy.


Well... she did it. After countless submissions... and a few rejection letters :), my Mom is finally a published author!!! She never gave up, and now we are proud to see her name in print. What we are all even more proud about... is that out of all the stories she has submitted... the one that was chosen was the story of our dear Little Man... Ricky.

The Journal of Christian Nursing accepted Mom's article that tells the story of how Ricky came into our lives, and even named me as co-author since several of my journal entries that I wrote on his website are included. It is a peer-reviewed, professional nursing journal that is distributed throughout the world, and it is published by Nurses Christian Fellowship.

I wish I had a link to share with you so that you could all read it... unfortunately JCN is distributed quarterly to subscribers only. You can click here to see the table of contents for the issue... but I don't think you can download unless you open an account. Mom has ordered a large number of copies... so if you would like one, send me an email (megeliza@msn.com) with your address. I will send it out when we receive them.

All in all, we are very pleased with how it turned out. The editing process is an interesting one... they tend to re-word things and a few of my journal entries are worded in a way that sounds a little less like me... but nevertheless... the point is made. A few details were changed to protect the identity of his family... (his name in the article is "Nicky" which kind of drives me nuts)... BUT... we are thrilled that his story is being told.

It feels good to have several things coming together that illuminate the little boy who was the reason I fell in love with motherhood. It's hard to believe October will mark 3 years since he left us. Nothing feels better than watching God continue to use Ricky's life to speak to those who knew him, and many, many who never did.

Way to persevere Mom. The Lord knew even back then that he was going to use Ricky's Grandma to ensure his story was told. You're right... if it's the only acceptance letter you ever get, we'll all know it was by far the most important.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I was thinking along the same lines as you, the timing of all of these things coming together is amazing. I don't understand God's time frame, along with many other things, but He is allowing Ricky's story to continue even without him here. It makes me so happy for you knowing how much all of these areas are coming together, to honor your son and everything you did for him!
Love and miss you,
Reno Carrie

andrew,betsy,& noura said...

I'm so happy that she was able to publish this and that you finally got the memorial for Ricky! I would love to read it when you get copies!

melissa said...

Congratulations to your mom! This is wonderful news :) Just think how many more people will read about what God did through Ricky...

I just requested a copy of the article through Interlibrary Loan. Yeah, I'm a dorky librarian...

Christy said...

Oh my goodness....that is so neat! Of course I want to read it but I'm sure you will be sendng Jess a copy so I will read hers. What a neat thing to have published!

Mare said...

Wow! This is awesome. I would love to read it when you get the copies. I've read your messages.
Do you have any idea how much I love you and value our friendship!
You're the best.

Mare

Adrienne said...

Congratulations to your mom and to you guys for this exciting next chapter in your lives and in Ricky's legacy. What a neat witness for others to read his story in a journal! Just catching up here. We've been out of town. I love the aesthetic changes you're making, but mostly, love, love, love the pictures of your quickly growing beautiful little Ella! You guys look like you are all enjoying life, and like you said, loving motherhood! I've been wanting to "Adrienne" Noah's blog but am afraid I'll lose it in the template changing process...any suggestions?