Friday, June 22, 2007

A Note from Sondra...

Well --- now that the sanctity and privacy of recovery has been totally violated ' I decided you should have a word from the patient. I think my HIPPA rights have been violated, Meg....Just what everyone wants----- the whole world able to see you groggy and post surgical!

Since I have all this time on my hands, I thought it might be fun to share a few thoughts of my own...thoughts that may encourage, perhaps even amuse. I truly looked forward to these days of quiet and recovery away from the frenetic pace of Chicago. Many wondered at the choice to come to Indy for foot surgery. "Why on earth would you go to Zionsville, Indiana for surgery of any kind??? You live in Chicago, where they have some of the best medical care in the world! "

Well, there were several reasons. First, I found a wonderful doctor who approached the neuroma issue in a very unique way. He gained my trust from the first visit on . But, perhaps the biggest reason I agreed to this adventure so far away from home, was the willingness of Meg and Eric to open their home to me for the post surgical days. Not many newlyweds would want "the mother-in-law" hanging around their house for 7-10 days. And not too many 58 year old women would want to recoup from surgery in someone else's house-- away from their established comforts and routines....but I have loved every minute of this...truly feel like I am being treated like the Queen of Sheba! Meg and Eric have a great way of making you feel very comfortable and 'at home' even when I know that I am lounging on the couch they would be sitting on--- knowing I am crimping their style a bit. Eric is a wonderfully caring son-in-law who makes you feel very welcome and cared for. And Meg is absolutely wonderful at taking care of you, allowing you the freedom to establish your own pattern for the day, assisting and encouraging you to care for yourself, but providing complete assistance when needed. Someone said that Meg should be excellent at caring for feet.....my feet are each about the size of one of her typical patients!! Forgive the rambling....just had to let you know how special this time has been.

Max has also provided his own brand of care and concern. He is somehow fascinated by the bandages, and the shoe boots. Keeps Grandma company getting as close to my feet as I will allow.

Perhaps my biggest encouragement these past two days has been a picture that hangs right outside my bedroom door. During these first two days, it has been a source of encouragement and comfort as many times I have gotten out of bed feeling nauseous, dizzy and really queezy. With great effort I would insert my bandage bound feet into the velcro strapped boots. Just bending over often increased the sense of nausea. Then, tightening the velcro, I would begin my 'duck waddle' walking on my heels feeling various levels of discomfort in the feet. Truthfully, the nausea was more of a frustration than the pain.

The first thing my eyes fall on as I walk through my bedroom door is the picture of a little man who will always be my idol when it comes to courage in the midst of the pain. Little Man Ricky, the biggest, strongest, bravest little boy I ever have known. As I pass his picture on my way to the bathroom, I remember the endless tubes and tummy aches, the times of spitting up that I know were preceded by a sense of pain, the painful procedures that we saw him endure, the frantic looks as he glanced from one of us to the other in moments of fear during hospitalization.......What a trooper he was, right up and through the end of his young life. His courage gives me courage. Somehow, in the midst of my own recovery, my mind is filled with grateful thoughts of a gift our family received ....a little man who will forever warm our hearts. We love and miss you, Ricky!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christy said...

Sondra,
So glad you took the time to post on Meghans blog! It was sweet reading your words about little Ricky. God was using him to help you stay strong through your recovery. :) Enjoy the rest of your visit!
Christy

Adrienne said...

Meghan and Sondra,
First of all, your sense of humor is great! I loved that you video taped your mom post-op! I video-taped Noah 'mouthing' the words to a song while he slept...weird sense of humor, I know.

Secondly, I love what you shared, Sondra, about Little Man Ricky. Although I never met him, Meghan's heart and love for him has blazened his face into my mind, so someday's I picture his cute cheeks and pray for all of you guys, knowing that your hearts will always be tender, but have grown so much because of him. Thanks to both of you for sharing his little life with the world!

Meghan said...

Adrienne,

Thank you so much for your comments. I feel somewhat honored to have you on my blog... as I have anxiously followed yours since I spent several hours one night, 4 days before God carried him home, pouring through every word of that blog.

Despite the fact that we have never met... there is something very familiar and comforting about connecting with another Mother whose child is very likely playing in glory right alongside Ricky.

Thanks for sharing with us!
Meghan