Monday, April 2, 2007

Good Times

My friend Melissa had a blog long before I knew these things even existed. She is an English major... and also now holds a degree in Library Science. I've been addicted to her random musings ever since I became aware of them, because she has such a great way of telling stories. Just the other day, I stumbled across one of her posts from July, 2003... It told of an adventure she and I, along with our good friends Stacy and Carrie had. I had to share:

please, don't spit in my wound.
Yesterday was a day of firsts. Initially it the plan had been to go camping by the lake, but like most plans, this one changed several times before its execution. When Meghan and Carrie came to pick me up, I learned that the plan had changed once more.

We started by eating at "Joe's," which is a 1950's style diner. We'd never eaten there before so it was named as the first "first" of the day.

The second "first" was quite a bit more adventurous. This one involved a trip to Piercing U.S.A. Yes, yes, this is exactly what it sounds like, and when we emerged from the shop, Meghan's belly button was pierced, Carrie's lower lip was pierced, and my nose was pierced :)

On the instruction sheet that the piercing place gave us, one of the instructions reads as follows: "Avoid oral contact, rough play, and contact with others' bodily fluids on or near your piercing during healing." Somehow in the midst of our discussion of this rule someone piped up with "well, you wouldn't want anyone to spit into your wound, would you?" From there, the joke of the day became "please, don't spit in my wound." And really, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't ;)

We were still interested in the initial camping idea; however, this aspect of the plan had changed quite a bit as well. We picked up Stacey, who had been working all day, but instead of driving out to a campsite, we opted for camping out on Meghan's "slab." Meghan, you see, is having a house built right now. The house currently exists only in the form of a cement slab that has been poured to serve as the foundation for the house, so we brought sleeping bags out to the slab and set up camp. This lasted until around 1 a.m. when Officer Iamsonotamused decided to come, shine his ultra-bright, fun-hating cop light on us, and bust up our little camping excursion. We were "an obstruction" and "a safety hazard," and "we had to leave immediately." Like I said—fun hater. So we packed up, didn't get ticketed (he didn't even take any names), and went to our homes to sleep in our own beds.

Here's a few photos from our campout gone bad... Once the fear of being arrested passed, I couldn't have been more relieved to be heading home to my own bed. I believe it might have been my idea to "sleep on the slab". It was not one of my brighter ones. I was wide awake when the spotlight from the cop car began scanning back and forth over our "campsite". Unlike my dear friends snoring around me... I hadn't slept for even a second! Oh well... it made for a good story.


P.S. - Note the lighters at the bottom of the picture. Those are what we used to try and toast our marshmallows... :) Another bad idea.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a fun memory...you guys are all so cute! I love that you all had a "night of firsts", I have been dying to get a tatoo forever,(Christy I know you want one too!!) Is your hair super short and sassy in the bottom picture??? I love it!! You should cut it again like that! Or if it's really just pulled back, it looks good short! Next time you want a fun night of "first's", please all of you come to Oregon!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I can't stop laughing! What a fun time! Meghan you need to come to Oregon and we can have a night of firsts. Get tatooted :)(yes Jess, your right, I really do to). Shop in Oregon, drink Margaritas in Oregon, we can camp in Jess's back yard with Sampson. We could make a good night of firsts. Okay now i'm all excited about it.......when you coming?!

Meghan said...

OK... here's the thing. You guys can't post that stuff out here in plain view of my husband! Jessica your influence in already in question with him based on our shopping sprees while you were here. He'll never send me to Oregon to hang out with you all if he knows all we're going to do is shop, drink Margaritas, and get tatoos!! Speaking of tatoos... I've never really had a passion to get one for myself... but I WOULD like to re-pierce my belly button. I lost it in a "small" accident with Ricky's car seat quite awhile ago. (I'll spare you all the details though... they're not pretty)!

Anonymous said...

I could go for a tatoo AND a belly piercing (I have had it done twice...not so good with a super pregnant belly)! Eric, you know I am basically all talk (Christy's harmless too). Guess What???? Corey has been talking about a tatoo for his shoulder....are you in Eric???

melissa said...

That was such a great night! I love that memory! I'm glad you posted pictures to go along with it :)

I had totally forgot about the "don't spit in my wound thing" - hilarious.

Meghan said...

Melissa -

I saved the one of me flashing my belly next to both your faces but I did find like 3 copies of it! SO fun! I'll never forget seeing that huge needle poker thinging going into the side of your nose and coming out of your nostril!! GROSS!!! (Why didn't we get a picture of that?!)

melissa said...

Well, obviously we had to capture the moment :) When else will you ever get the chance to see me with a 3-inch long needle sticking out of my nose?

I have the picture of the three of us w/our new piercings too. Love it :)

Anonymous said...

Truthfully, we are all talk. Its just harmless fun Eric! The girls trying to be wild!! :) We think we are really cool but......Although the tatoos are still a big maybe!! Eric, we would wake up Sunday morning and go to church. Can she come now?

Eric said...

You guys are nuts... I've never understood the tattoo thing, especially the lower back. Now piercings... thats another story.

Anyway, she can come but please send her back with ink-free skin.

Anonymous said...

I see now that we have lived up to every single pre-judgement people have about Oregon in this one single blog entry!! We sound like a bunch of hippies!! hee,hee!!