Friday, September 5, 2008

Hope


The first real fight Eric and I had as a married couple (actually as a couple at all) was about politics. I've never really been much for political topics or discussions. Honestly... I avoid any and all conversations unless pinned in a corner and forced to speak about them. But I do have a strong conviction about our responsibility as Christians to vote. (Thank you, Marty and Deanna.) So one day - in the midst of our "my-new spouse-is-so-wonderful-my-new-apartment-is-so-wonderful-all-this-new-stuff-is-so-wonderful-and-life-is-fantastic" marital bliss, Eric informed me very matter-of-factly that he does not vote. I was floored that the man I had fallen for had... um... a flaw. The argument started out innocently enough. After all... we had really not had many disagreements to speak of thus far. Going into the "discussion", I was naively confident that a brief education regarding our spiritual responsibility would set him straight and would no doubt have him registered to vote by midnight. He was naive enough to think that disagreeing with me was acceptable. (His lack of experience with women was obvious here.)

Needless to say... after a much heated discussion, and because we both wanted to get some sleep that night and many nights after... we chose to agree to disagree on this one. And that is where things have stood ever since. Ironically, despite his refusal to vote, Eric is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to politics. He understands far more than I ever will... and I'm constantly consulting him on various individuals or this whole election process. Aside from his decision not to vote... I respect his opinion on political matters more than anyone else... even mine!

So about 4 or 5 weeks ago, Eric muttered something about "the smartest thing McCain could do is pick that Alaskan Governor lady to be his V.P.". I, like most of the country, had never even heard of her. When I asked him why, he rambled off a few things about her that I agreed sounded very good. However being the tried and true pessimist that he is, he reassured me that she really had no chance at all. So the morning of McCain's announcement, I learned on the news that the "Alaskan lady" was drawing more attention and some were speculating she may actually be in the running. Eric came out of the bedroom and the conversation went something like this:

Me: (in my best political lingo) Hey, they're saying that that Alaskan Gov. lady might really have a shot at the V.P. position.
Eric: Nah, he's going to pick Polenty.
Me: No! They just announced that he was told he would not get it!
Eric: Really?
Me: Yep! (taking advantage of that DVR to rewind for proof)
Eric: Wow if he chose her I might actually have to vote in this election.

WHAT????!!!!!!

I was excited that he was actually considering the whole thing (although I played it cool and didn't let on)... but even more that all that... realizing that having her name on the ballot would be the one thing that would send him to the voting booths spoke volumes. I spent a little bit of time researching her online... and waited anxiously for the announcement later that day.

Now I understand that this election is far from over... but when I heard that Sarah Palin was McCain's choice... I almost choked up with excitement. The word to describe what I felt was hope. At a time when I otherwise feel like signs of the end times are all around us, and the country seems to be spiraling downhill faster and faster... the chance that morals could prevail is beyond exciting.

Eric registered to vote the next day... and even ordered us McCain-Palin bumper stickers. (I wish he had gotten the one I found at the top of this post). I was really not looking forward to this election prior to a few days ago. I have an easier time picturing Obama as a talk show host than the leader of the free world, and even McCain fails to impress me a whole lot. But suddenly I have renewed interest. As a team... McCain and Palin just might be on to something. Do I care that her teenage daughter is pregnant? Not really. What I care about is her response to the situation... and in that, I am well-impressed. Do I worry about her ability to juggle an infant with Down's syndrome with this new career? No more than I would if her baby was healthy. I will admit, I personally cannot imagine handling all that is on her plate with 5 children... but something about her reassures me that she has spent much time in consideration and even... prayer about whether this is the path she should be on. And I for one, am in no place to judge what is best for her or her family.

Speaking of her family... does anyone else want to just have them over for dinner? I think the reason so many accuse McCain of making a choice that seems more like a joke than a valid decision... is because seeing a "real" person in such a role is so completely foreign to us all. I look forward with great anticipation to the direction this election takes us. Even if we lose... I am so encouraged that she could even make it this far...

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Amen!! I am totally voting McCain/Palin, and love the fact that the Palin family is not afraid to just "be a normal family". I truly admire the fact that her pregnant daughter and boyfriend were up on stage with her. None of us are perfect, nor should we be "inspired" by those who pretend to be. I also do not like discussing politics, but had to share with you in the excitement of the republican nominees!!

Anonymous said...

We, too, are so excited to see Palin on the ticket. Let me say that in all my voting years, I have never been this excited over a candidate. We were so impressed with her speech, how she handles herself with sincerity, dignity and a good sense of humor. The Palins are a true example of an all-American family.

We hope and pray that die-hard Democrats will see the light before the election. Where would Obama lead us - - we don't want to find out.

capitoldiver said...

I'm proud to support the McCain/Palin ticket, too. There is HOPE for our country, and I pray people see the light and get out and vote this year! I love your blog.

Rachel said...

absolutely LOVE her!

Anonymous said...

Our Governor rocks! I hoped America would fall in love with Sarah! She was at my jobsite not long ago for our ground breaking ceremony. She drove herself and didn't arrive with any security or staff. Just pulled up in a normal car, got out and blended right in visiting with our construction crew. She has faith, morals and a real compass. We’re pulling for her!
Thanks Meg for opening up this can of worms – normally I steer clear of political discussions but who doesn’t love talking about Sarah Palin!
Thanks cousin, Love Holland (Anchorage, Alaska) 

Christi said...

Amen! I vote because it's the right thing to do, but never have put a real effort into researching the candidates to make the "right" decision. This election though holds a very different meaning for me. Even before Palin was announced, I was watching the DNC on PBS every night! Totally not me! I'm more of a reality TV junkie. I too don't really care for Mc Cain, but there's something about Sara Palin that intrigues me. We'll see what happens! :)

Anonymous said...

meg. it's great to hear about eric's return to an upstanding, functioning citizen of the USA. i think i know why he stopped voting... (see the link in my name for the answer). quick hint... HRP. ask him about it.