Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Gratitude


So my parents made the trip down to babysit Ella this week and it took a little bit longer than usual due to the flooding in northwest Indiana. The drive was a couple hours longer but they showed up excited to see their grand-daughter as usual... (they could care less about Eric or I)...

To show my gratitude, I decided to back into their car on my way to work.

Don't worry... my Jeep is just fine. Not a scratch thanks to the protection of the rear spare tire. My Dad's relatively new car on the other hand... to put it positively... still runs. Two estimates reveal that it will likely cost $2500 to repair the hood which is dented and will not open... along with the light and bumper.

I'm a good driver... really I am. Rarely is there another car in my driveway when I back up... so why should I assume differently just because company arrived that day?

My parents of course insist it's "no big deal". My dad only wishes he had chosen to drive my mom's car down here instead. Things happen... accidents happen... I just wish I was prone to less expensive ones.



6 comments:

Jessica said...

Ohhh! You're right though..accidents happen! Once when I was a nanny in Connecticut, I rear ended an elderly woman! Yikes!! At least, thank goodness, she was not injured. I still had to deal with insurance on my employers car, her car, etc.. At least they are your parents and they have to claim you right?? "Stuff happens", as they say.(Probobly not what I would have said at that moment) :)

melissa said...

Oops! Isn't it crazy how much car repairs cost? I guess that's what insurance is for, huh?

Eric said...

I've always heard that being married improves your economic situation... I'm beginning to question that philosophy.

Meghan said...

Whoever told you that must have been delusional. Not only do we tend to be "accident-prone" after children come along (thanks to doing 500 things at once - you should try it sometime... wait... no you shouldn't)... but husbands in general drive their wives to become compulsive shoppers. It's all the stress of keeping your lives running so smoothly. It's a lot to bear... and we need to deal with all the anxiety somehow!! You should be THROWING money at us considering all we do and put up with!!! :)

Jessica said...

Who would like me, the "bad influence shopper", to step in on this conversation???? "Eric, you are pretty quiet?" :)

Corey just got back from being gone 8 day (yes 8, not just a week) cycling eastern oregon. I am SURE he won't ever leave me alone with four little boys that long again! We are still recieving UPS shipments from Gap and Jcrew!!

I like to call it "overtime"...get used to it Eric, and sadly, I don't feel guilty at all. Marriage definately DID NOT improve Corey's economic situation...but I sure if you ask him he will tell you it's ALL worth it! ;)

Scott and Lisa said...

on second thought maybe I won't come and stay next year. :)

ps still no word yet about that rotation