Saturday, December 29, 2007

Date #1 - 1st Date Anniversary

Today is the two year anniversary of the first date I ever had with my husband. For me, this Anniversary almost feels even more special then the Anniversary of our wedding. It was the first of 6 dates in a row - before I would return to Reno confused, excited, and overwhelmed. We met at the Italian Village in downtown Chicago for dinner, and then spent the evening walking around the city enjoying the Christmas lights and decorations.

Prior to our meeting, Eric had mentioned that it would be fun to "dress up" and have a nice dinner somewhere... so the morning of the big date... I frantically combed OakBrook mall with my mom, looking for the "perfect-first-date-dressy-but-not-too-dressy" outfit. I was a mess - ask my mom. I couldn't find anything that looked good enough, and still fell in my budget. Finally, after about 3 hours and out of complete desperation, I plopped down $80 for some pants at Limited, and another $75 I believe on a cute sweater set. I was still looking for shoes when I noticed a voice mail on my cell phone. It was Eric. The message went something like this:

"Hey Meghan, this is Eric. Uh... I think I said something awhile back about us getting dressed up for dinner tonight... but I only brought jeans and a shirt up with me, so I won't be wearing anything that nice. I just wanted to let you know so you didn't show up and feel too overdressed."

You gotta give the guy credit... at least he thought enough to let me know ahead of time.

I believe my mom's response was, "well now you don't have to buy something to wear!"... to which I replied, "NO... NOW I have to find something really CUTE and really CASUAL!!"!

SO.. the next 2 hours were spent running BACK to Limited where the original outfit was exchanged... and the search began all over again.

Despite the drama of the morning (which Eric remained clueless about for quite some time after), we had a fabulous time on our date. I have a picture of the two of us, that was taken by a photographer somewhere downtown - and I've been scouring the house looking for it today. When I find it I'll post it.

At the risk of sounding really cheesy, I knew on this first date that Eric and I would have some kind of a future.... can't say I knew just what that would be. THAT certainty, did not come until the next evening... when we both knew we would be married someday....

But that story will have to wait until tomorrow...

5 comments:

Eric said...

oops... this is more special than our wedding anniversary? looks like I missed this one Meg. sorry. stinks we both worked today and my only words were something about the alarm not being set while being half awake.

love ya babe... sorry about that outfit thing again.

yellowgirl said...

ha! this is a GREAT story.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story. This sounds so romantic.

How did you meet, originally ?
You didn't say that.
Was it a blind date ?

Please.....do tell.

Jackie Carl
Marion, IN

melissa said...

Definitely a great story :)

andrew,betsy,& noura said...

i had a horrible date at Italian Village, so I'm glad yours turned out. So sweet...please continue the story!