Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Binky

Ricky's been on my mind a lot lately. It seems like no matter how hard I try or how much time passes, the bad memories of the last year of his life always dominate my thoughts. I remember vividly feeling incredibly angry throughout the last 3-4 days of his life - while we were in the hospital with him - because I didn't understand why he had to die under such awful circumstances... And I worried that the images of him suffering would be the things I would remember in the end. I hoped as many told me, that I would be wrong about all that... but even after all this time, I really do struggle with getting those memories out of my head. The happy days, the sweet moments, despite the fact that there were countless... I have to fight to recall.

I came across this video yesterday... and I had to post it. It is exactly what I needed to remember the "good times". Ricky adored his pacifier. He was never without it... never. We had one of those clippy things that keep it attached to the child's outfit - and he even wore it to bed. With a healthy baby, I probably would have worried about the attachment... but for Ricky, it was the only oral stimulation he ever had. His therapists and doctor were always amazed that he would even take the thing... because most kids with oral aversion wouldn't go near a pacifier. For him - it was something we encouraged. He was about 8 1/2 months old in this video... and as cute as ever...

**Pause the music on the right side bar if you want to hear the sound on this video**


The Paci from Meghan Johnson on Vimeo.

11 comments:

Faith said...

I pray about your memories of Ricky and their effect on you all the time. I'm so sorry Meg. That video was absolutely precious. He was and still is such an angel!

Mare said...

Sniff!! I remember that smile...warms my heart!

Need Puffs Plus with Aloe..sniff, sniff!

melissa said...

Sending you lots of love, Meg! I'll be praying for you.

andrew,betsy,& noura said...

im so glad you have videos to remember the great times- absolutely adorable!

Lisa said...

What an incredible video! Thank you for sharing it.

All my love, lisa

Larry, Natalie, Jackson and Adelaide Pruitt said...

Thank you for sharing this video. All it takes is that million dollar, open mouth smile to bring it all back.

Carrie said...

Meg, I love watching the videos you have of Ricky! Watching his little face, and hands move around floods me with memories. His sweet little voice and the smile no one will forget brings happy/sad tears. As I leave Reno, I'm glad I will be able to take the love I still hold for Ricky with me. You and Ricky were such a HUGE part of my life and that will never change, even if we are 1,000's of miles away!!!
I pray God continues to bring memories of the sweetness of your time together with your son.
I love you my dear friend.
xoxoxo,
Carrie

Lynn said...

Very beautiful video!

Debbie said...

I am so thankful I was able to meet Ricky while we were all at Stanford. I think of him and you often. I will never forget how his skin felt when I touched his little foot. I think of you and your Mom often and Ricky too. I hope you will continue to find happy memories.
Debbie

Adrienne said...

Those are the best! His smile was breathtaking, Meg! I mean, I know I don't have to tell you! I am so sorry...I'm sorry. xoxox

Jackie said...

What a little angel !