Sunday, October 14, 2007

Happy 3rd Birthday Ricky!! (10/2/07)

I can't even begin to describe how special it was for me to actually be in Reno for Ricky's birthday this year. Memories began flooding back as soon as my plane landed at the airport, and I spent Ricky's day driving around remembering so many moments that I had forgotten. I knew I had to find an Elmo birthday balloon... and I headed up to the cemetery in Reno, where I have always wished I could have had Ricky buried. There is a small section there designated for kids, with a plaque that says "Garden of Christ's Children". On either end are statues of Jesus holding children. After a little while, I let the balloon go and watched it soar into the sky until I couldn't see it anymore... I kind of doubt it made it all the way to heaven - but I'm pretty sure the party up there made my small gift of a balloon pale in comparison. :)


I decided kind of last minute to make cupcakes. Turns out I was never meant to be a cake decorator. When it was all said and done, I had 4 dozen, sloppy (yet tasty) looking things... but no party to share them at!! So I headed over to the hospital - probably the only place where I could show up with these things and NOT have anyone question why. I felt a little silly showing up with all these things... but was greeted with "Happy Birthday Ricky" 's... and comments about how we all couldn't believe he would have been '3'. It occurred to me as I was leaving that they weren't the slightest bit surprised at my delivering cupcakes at all... and once again I was overwhelmed by what an amazing family Ricky and I were blessed with in the Saint Mary's NICU staff. I love them all so much.


1 comments:

Bart Saunders said...

Thanks for sharing these memories with us, what a special day! I can't imagine the tears we all still shed when we think of Ricky and how much you miss your little man. You are an amazing mom!!