Sunday, October 14, 2007

Grandma Gloria


The day after Ricky's birthday I made a call to the nursing home where Grandma Gloria lives. Gloria began volunteering as a baby holder in the hospital when Ricky was born, and as you can see in the picture above, it was love at first sight. She was forever faithful in maintaining her relationship with Ricky even after I brought him home, stopping by for visits and calling regularly "just to check on him". Gloria even made her way across the country to be at my wedding last year... all at the age of 87.

I learned in that phone call that Gloria had passed away... and not only that... but she had passed away in July. It had been two months and I had not heard. Even the staff in the NICU had not heard... somehow everyone had missed the obituary in the paper. I felt incredibly guilty and sad about the whole thing... although the memorial service was private and I suppose I would not have been able to attend anyway. Still, I feel bad that I never knew.

After finding out about Gloria, the nurse (Maria) promptly asked, "is this Meghan"? She went on to tell me that Gloria's whole room had been decorated with pictures of Ricky, and pictures of my wedding. Maria said, "I just want you to know that Gloria prayed for you every single day, and told me constantly what a wonderful mother you are".

We thought she was pretty wonderful too.

I'm pretty sure who Gloria headed for upon arriving in heaven... nothing seemed to make her happier than singing to that little boy in her arms. Turns out his birthday party might have had one more special attendee that I wasn't aware of... She no doubt had a long awaited chance to spoil him rotten once again. While I was said to hear she had gone... I really doubt she was sad at all. I can't help but smile when I hear her telling me over and over how much she disliked living at that nursing home. "Everyone there is so..... old", she used to say.

Ricky's got Jesus... and he now has Gloria.
I think he's going to be just fine. :)

No fair Gloria... you beat me.

6 comments:

Christy said...

What a precious story! Sounds like a wonderful woman and so excited for you to know she is with Ricky! Isn't is wonderful to know people we don't have in our lives everyday are praying for us! Many blessing to you and your growing belly!!!!!

Weinberg Family said...

That was an incredible story. I am glad that you shared it on your blog:)

Bart Saunders said...

We know Gloria was never the same after falling in love with little Ricky! At your wedding my mom and I got a neat photo of her after we visited... hope we passed it on to you. Her admiration of you didn't surprise any of us... I'm so glad you and Ricky made her life more complete.

Anonymous said...

I "teared up" when I read about Grandma Gloria. I love the picture of her and Ricky.
I did laugh when you told how she didn't like the nursing home because "everyone there is so old".
You can tell what a wonderful person she was by looking at those big brown eyes of Ricky's and seeing the love he had for her.

Stacy said...

Incredibly touching! Ricky was so blessed to have both you and Grandma Gloria in his life. :)

Anonymous said...

How grateful I am for this wonderful woman who consistently rocked Ricky in the hospital during his first months of life....before he became a part of our family. I will never forget one of his more urgent hospitalizations at the age of around 9 months. Gloria came for a visit to the hospital and offered to let me take a break---(Meghan had flown to San Fran to be in a wedding.) Ricky was quite sick and Grandma Gloria could not wait to hold and love him. That look on Ricky's face says it all. He adored her. I almost hesitated to leave the hospital room, preferring just to watch the two of them interact.

We will miss this beautiful woman who loved so unconditionally.
Thank you, Gloria. We love you.