Friday, May 2, 2008

Greetings from PostPartum!

(I wrote most of this yesterday morning but computer problems in the room kept me from getting it posted!)

Well Good Morning Friends!

How fun it was to hear from so many of you "stalkers" yesterday. Don't think I didn't know you were out there... I just didn't know who you were! 60 some votes on that whole weight guessing game. Hmmm... I can't seem to muster up 5 comments on a good post but somehow 60 people can place a vote on the weight of my kid! :) Anyway... we loved hearing from you. Eric was refreshing the website regularly and reading me your messages. I'll admit, I enjoyed them a bit more after the epidural was in!

Overall however... while some of you will disagree big time, some of you will hate me, and others will flat out not believe me... I can honestly say that labor and delivery was truly a piece of cake!!! No kidding! I feel a little guilty in admitting that I had what you would probably call the best case of birthing scenarios occur that one could ask for. You know it's good when the absolute worst part of it all were the penicillin infusions through my IV and the stupid blood pressure cuff squeezing my arm so hard I was sure it would fall off. The first 5 hours of the induction I felt hardly anything at all... much to my families dismay. Everyone got so bored they started willing the suffering to begin so they could have some action. Nice, huh? I really didn't dialate much beyond the 4cm that I was at when I arrived. We were so disappointed that my wonderful doctor was not able to be there... but she of course couldn't help getting sick, and the doctor on call was great. He finally did decide to break my water around 2pm since I hadn't progressed very much... and that was about all it took. Less than a minute later contractions started... and I think I was dilated to 7cm in less than 2 hours! I put off the epidural as long as possible but things got pretty painful really fast. My contractions were less than a minute apart so sitting still for the epidural alone about sent me over the edge. Once it was in though... life was good again... for about 15 minutes until my blood pressure started dropping lower and lower. I went from feeling wonderful to feeling nauseous, lightheaded, and very drugged out. Ella had a few dips in heart rate so on went the oxygen mask and I received a shot of Ephedrine to raise my pressures. It was pretty intense... and just so I can make the labor story a little more dramatic... I plan to always tell Ella about the moments when we all thought I might die in childbirth. :) ;) Hey! It could have happened!!!

Within moments of my resurrection... I was fully dilated and the nurse had me try pushing. I could feel contractions but no pain... so was able to push pretty effectively. A few practice runs and she immediately called the doctor to hurry up so we could have a baby. He took his sweet time... wrapping up a conversation on his cell in the hall... while we all waited patiently with Ella's head protruding. He walked in and gowned up... I asked if I should push... he said "sure!"... the nurse said, "no"! I went with the nurses recommendation since I could see Ella in the mirror pretty clearly. Finally the doc was ready and probably about 4 pushes later she was here. I actually thought the whole pushing thing was fun. It didn't seem hard and I could feel the contractions - but no pain at all.

It was all pretty cool... (except the near death experience of course)... she latched on and took to breast feeding right away like a champ. I don't know what I expected her to look like, but she doesn't look a thing like whatever it was... her eyes, nose, dimpled chin, and 6 inch long feet are all Eric... I think she maybe got my lips. Seems unfair that I have to carry and birth her... and all I get are some matching lips! Oh well... he does have way better legs than I do so I guess I'll pray she gets those too...

We got home this afternoon and I was more than ready. Ella has decided she would prefer to eat or snuggle rather than lay in her bed and sleep (big surprise)... so some babysitting by Grandpa and Grandma while I napped was in order. Max surprisingly enough seems to kind of like her. He snuggled up right next to her on the couch and is hanging out close to anyone who holds her.

Here's a few more pics to tide you all over... I'm sure there will be more to come. And I'm sure there are more fun things to share about the last few days that my tired brain can't recall at the moment... so stay tuned!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!! Keep the pictures coming... Ella is just PRECIOUS!!! Hey... what's her middle name??? Love Ya!

Anonymous said...

man, she does look like eric. the pic of joycee holding her - ella's expression is 100% johnson (must've been a gas bubble!?). meg, i know you said eric has better legs - well, he hasn't any butt so hopefully she won't inherit that!

Christy said...

well girl glad to hear you enjoyed your delivery! :)! Hope you get lots of help and rest these next few weeks! She is so precious!! Eric looks so cute in all the pictures...a proud new daddy!!

Randi Jo :) said...

my experience was very similiar! but no near death experience for me thank God... :)

she is so adorable! rest up while she naps !:)

andrew,betsy,& noura said...

shes beautiful and you look great. your labor sucks...im so jealous...dont brag abt that story...some mom may punch you:)

Anonymous said...

Meghan,
So good to hear from you!
Glad it all went well (well, most of it). :-)
You look great....and Sweet Ella is simply adorable. Beautiful !
Have a wonderful week-end.
With love,
Jackie Carl

Anonymous said...

She has changed so much since I've seen her. Gotta get down there! Sorry Meg, but I do see a lot of Eric and Susie in her. Maybe the next one will look like you.
Looks like Max is going to be protective of her, or maybe he knows around her is where the action is.
Grandma Joyce

Anonymous said...

Pleazzze! No more bragging about your labor experience. Ella is just beautiful. Sorry to say, she sure does look like Eric. Wait, I took one more look at those pictures, yes...she does have your lips. Ha! I am so happy for you. Keep us posted.
Love,
Marylea

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that everything went so smoothly! I hope that when I'm done with school in 2074 and have a kid of my own it will go just as well!

She's adorable! Personally I see some Brunsting in her. If you look really quickly and squint your eyes it really comes out. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you. Keep the pictures coming...
Doris

Dinah said...

Congratulations Meg and Eric! Ella is absolutely beautiful. Glad she has a dimpled chin like Eric and a few of us in the family.
Enjoy every minute!

Dinah

Anonymous said...

Meghan,
Congrats!!! She is beautiful! I must say I would trade my recent labor & delivery for yours :)

G24 said...

Another "stalker" coming out of the woodwork to tell you congratulations!!!!!!!
Wishing you the best.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, the pictures keep getting better!!! I think I'm having postpartum emotions for you, when the new pictures came up and the song came on I almost cry. I love you so much Meg and you guys are such a picture of a true family! Be blessed with your daughter and keep us updated with your wonderful stories and more pictures!!!
Love, Reno Carrie
ps-perfect middle name;)

melissa said...

She is adorable! Looks like Max has a new friend :) I can't wait to see more pics and read more updates on life with Ella!

Adrienne said...

Congratulations, Meg, Eric and big brother, Ricky! Meg, you look fabulous for just almost dying :) I'm glad you had a great delivery! You, lady, deserved it! Have fun snuggling and I'll pray for sleep for all! Love always, ADrienne xoxox

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures! She is so precious. And of course your diary Meg, is newsy plus entertaining!! You write very well. I loved the photo of Ella and her dad. Great that Max will be the protector.

I have a cute frame waiting for my first picture of Ella Elizabeth.

Love,
Nana Pat

Weinberg Family said...

Hey Meghan....Ella is beautiful! I love you explanation of the birthing process...good details. I will look forward to seeing more and more pictures! Oh and by the way...we are pregnant again! Yep..#3..a little scary!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!! She's beautiful. So happy you had such a smooth labor, glad to know I'm not the only one who has easy not to mention fast labors. Makes others a little cranky sometimes.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Meg!!! How exciting! What you described about her looking like daddy is exactly how I felt with Cielo. Too funny! Enjoy this time, it is so special. Caleb was born on March 6 and everything went well for us too. Such a blessing from the Lord. He can't wait to meet Ella when you come to Reno to Visit! Vani